Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Stuffing

This is my roughly my mother's stuffing recipe - she wasn't interested in sharing her infamous recipe...and because there's no written recipe I'm basically going by what I've seen her do. I love her stuffing sooooo much, it's one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes so I HAD to share it with you guys. It's fairly easy and delicious. I've included pictures of the stuffing mix and sausage she uses. Enjoy..





Ingredients
1 stick butter
2 cups diced onions
2 cups diced celery
2 cups green or red bell peppers
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1lb breakfast sausage
1 1/2 - 2 bags of Arnold's or Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (recommended: Bell's)
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups chicken or turkey stock

Directions
In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, celery and peppers for 5 minutes. Next, add the sausage and cook until browned, about 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, mix the seasonings, eggs and stuffing mix. Then add the cooked vegetables and sausage and mix again. Finally, add the stock and mix well. There will be enough stuffing for a 10 to 15-pound bird and an 8 by 8-inch pan.