Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pie Crust

In case you guys didn't know I have a home based catering company and I specialize in baked goods. I strongly believe in making everything from scratch and despise boxed cakes, cookies and pies. BUT I have a secret I'm terrible with pie crust! My hands are always warm and they always melt the butter! Whenever I need to make a crust from scratch I always recruit my mom. Two crust that I can make well are the classic graham cracker crust and my personal remix the Nilla wafer crust. One night while making a cheesecake I randomly decided to use nilla wafers instead of graham crackers and fell in love. Both of them are terribly easy to make and tasty....Enjoy! 


Graham Cracker Crust

Ingredients

  • about 12 graham crackers , finely ground (1 1/2 cups)
  • 5 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar

  • Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pulse graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined.
  • Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie dish. Bake until crust golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let 
  • cool completely before filling



Nilla Wafer Crust

Ingredients
40 vanilla wafers, finely crushed
2 tablespoons sugar 
1/4 cup butter, melted 
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions
In a bowl mix together all ingredients.
Press into an even layer against bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree  oven for 6-8 minutes.
Cool before filling