Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Coquito


What is Coquito?? …A Christmas drink that’s most popular in Puerto Rico, it has a coconut flavor but is very similar to American eggnog,…It’s also the best thing I’ve ever drank! I made this for the first time two Christmas’ ago and I look forward to making it every year. NO I am not Puerto Rican BUT everyone who’s tasted it says my coquito is THE BEST they’ve ever had - it’s really easy to make but just like everything you have to have the touch* that perfect something...

The original recipe is from Daisy Martinez but of course I tweaked it with my personal touch. Because everyone loves it so much I decided to share my recipe 

2 jumbo eggs
3 jumbo egg yolks
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
15 oz can  cream of coconut
12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 – 1 1/2 cups of light rum
Cinnamon sticks or powder to garnish

Here are a few recommendations

·         your eggs HAVE to be fresh, your drinking them raw for God's sake
·          use carnation condensed milk & evaporated milk
·         Coco Lopez cream of coconut
·         ¾ cup Bacardi light rum and ¾ Malibu coconut rum

In a blender, combine the eggs and egg yolks.
Blend on high until the eggs are pale yellow and very light.
One at a time slowly add the condensed milk, cream of coconut and evaporated milk. (keep the blender going while doing so)

Blend for a minute or two, then with the blender still running, slowly add the heavy cream. Blend until just incorporated.

Stir in the rum.

If your blender becomes too full while preparing the coquito pour  some of the mixture into another pitcher, then continue as directed.

Add the remaining coquito to the pitcher and stir well.

Chill for 2 to 6 hours.

Garnish with ground cinnamon or a cinnamon stick to serve.

This recipe can totally be made with less rum or without any rum at all. (IDK why anyone would want it w/o but I digress)